Monday, April 20, 2009

United Nations, United States, and Disunited Peoples

Today the Leader of Iran (may he either change his views, or die a just death) used the platform of the United Nations to slander another nation, whom he labels racist, God-damned, etc.

The delegates of over 30 nations walked out, while other "clowns" (sort of literally: they wore wigs) shouted protests.

One man, from Brussels, believed the walkout was incorrect. He believes platforms like this should be used to "express" and "challenge" the views of others. He has a point.

Yet this disturbs me, and his post helps prove my point: he's one little human in the bucket of others. Why should I listen to his opinion? Why should I care? Why, in fact, should I care to hear anything the Iranian President has to say? Has he earned it?

Being elected to national office of any level does not grant that leader the right to speak, per se. Yet in this virtual age, the empowerment of regular folk to positions with voices to be heard is accelerating astronomically. And, I believe, to our own detriment. In previous generations, it was easier to find wisdom and insight, as voices were few. To reach the platforms in which one's voice could be projected required (usually) years of self-sacrifice, humbling study, and more humbling service. Now, any idiot with a computer can Twitter his way into civilization-moving masses of humanity. Yet more proof of this is found in Aston Kutcher's (whom I enjoy, actually) challenge to CNN.

What disturbs me is this:
Wicked men like AchIfeelyadawg, Leader of Iran, have not earned my respect, nor has he earned an audience. Yet we give it to him.

Perez Hilton has not earned my respect, nor has he earned an audience. Yet he is given one.

The common bloggers have not earned an audience. Yet by the millions, they write, and billions read. The Blind leading the blind. Yet here we are trying to have one. Is it the same?

There's something a little bit different about our endeavor, isn't there? Here we seek not an audience to move and shape to our liking. Here, we come together to exchange ideas, and to talk with one another, rather than to project ourselves before weak-minded followers for the purposes of self-enrichment or engrandizement.

And that makes me think, here, in this blog, we use the virtual with virtue. Here, we are earning the respect of one another, and gaining an audience of one another.

8 comments:

  1. I want to give this the time and consideration it deserves before I comment on the whole thing - but I want to agree that what we're doing here isn't the usual egocentric blog.

    You say, "Here, we come together to exchange ideas, and to talk with one another, rather than to project ourselves before weak-minded followers for the purposes of self-enrichment or aggrandizement." Our goal isn't to put ourselves in some position of authority over each other but rather to build understanding - the same way as though we were sitting around someone's kitchen table talking (I vote for Tami's kitchen table - I hear she bakes really well). It's just a bit more structured. And so I raise my mug of tea to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know how mahmoud ahmadinnut is allowed to come into the United States to speak at the UN, we shouldn't even allowed him on our soil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mara, for you, I give you and Tami a very very fine shot of Scotch, that in a bar would cost you near $25...probably more.

    Cren, with a release form, I give you the same ;). Otherwise, I give you tea :)

    You're all diggity in my iPhone (for the record, I have a Blackberry).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here, I digg being able to post on my forum from my blackberry

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all are welcome to use my kitchen table...it's pretty much the center of everything that happens in this house anyways...but please don't mind the herd of neighborhood children who are forever zooming in and out. You'll have to guard your cookies well; those kids are wily when cookies are involved. I'll take the scotch as well, but you have to promise that you won't be flaunting your blackberries. I actually DO have a cell phone, but it's ancient and if you know exactly what to do you can actually text on it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. what's the # what's the #! HAHaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL As if I would trust YOU with the number! You'd text me right out of minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang. Cover is blown. ABORT ABORT ABORT!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it PG folks